While you may be familiar with outdoor lighting, you may not know all the intricacies which go into making your outdoor lighting system as effective as possible. First, standard line lighting is normally not recommended. For most residential installations, incandescent or standard line lighting can be immediately ruled out. The installation requires extensive excavation. Not only is the excavation cost high, it can damage tree and shrub roots wreaking havoc on your landscaping. Standard line lighting could be a viable option on a new build–but even then, your other options are usually better.
It’s for this very reason we, at Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Columbus, offer only the top-quality brass and copper low-voltage outdoor lighting fixtures. Low-voltage outdoor lighting most often means halogen lights. Low-voltage halogen lighting is almost always an excellent choice:
- Low voltage offers safety benefits over line voltage.
- Low-voltage lights are affordable.
- Well-designed low-voltage systems will almost always use substantially less energy than standard line voltage.
- The halogen bulbs offer an attractive light that portrays surroundings in their true colors.
- Halogen bulbs offer the brightness and directional capabilities needed.
- Halogen bulbs provide a relatively long bulb life.
While halogen has dominated the low-voltage outdoor lighting market for many years, it’s important to note the popularity of LED technology in the Columbus, OH low-voltage outdoor lighting field. While there are still many inferior, older-technology fixtures on the market, recent advances have made LEDs suitable for outdoor lighting applications. The new advanced fixtures make LEDs a very attractive option for those willing to make the additional investment.
- LEDs’ low voltage offers safety benefits over line voltage.
- LEDs’ installation costs are affordable (though, fixture costs are initially higher).
- LEDs consume only a fourth of the energy of other options.
- The new LEDs offer an attractive light that portrays surroundings in their true colors.
- The new LEDs offer the brightness and directional capabilities needed.
- The new LEDs have an extremely long bulb life.
It’s important to note that while there is every reason to believe today’s advanced LED lights will last 10+ years under normal use, they haven’t been around long enough to prove this. Fortunately, the advanced LED fixtures Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Columbus uses offer a unique, patent-pending advance: the LED’s electronics are separated from the LED. This should reduce heat and further increase “bulb” life. It also allows LED “bulbs” to be replaced without the need to change the entire fixture. (Most other fixtures on the market have an integral LED, requiring replacement of the entire fixture rather than just the “bulb.”)